Artificial Grass Tennis Court Maintenance in AutumnNell Kivi
Artificial grass tennis court maintenance is relatively easy and the requirements are not very strict. However, now, when autumn has officially arrived, it is important to do some preparations before winter. Artificial grass maintenance guidelines by TennisKit24 are based on expert knowledge as well as long-term experience about artificial grass courts.
What are the things that need to be done during autumn artificial grass tennis court maintenance? Read more to find out.
The Maintenance in Autumn
- First, the court needs to be cleaned of all falling leaves and tree needles. In the long term, the leaf material can start composting. Furthermore, leaves get pulverised and the debris finds its way deeper into the met, which provides a good breeding ground for moss and weeds.
- Second, remove the tennis court net for the winter if you do not plan to use the court for the next months. Removing the net guarantees that it will keep its good playing properties and you can start using the net again as soon as the weather allows to use the court again.
- Finally, do not cover the artificial grass for winter since it creates the ‘’greenhouse effect’’ and results in moss formation. Just clean the court and let it be as it is!
A little hint – artificial grass tennis courts can also be used in winter in some parts of the world when snow is removed from the court. However, be careful during snow removal to avoid damaging the artificial grass surface.
Artificial Grass Tennis Court Daily Maintenance
The daily artificial grass tennis court maintenance consists of very simple things. Mostly, you need to keep in mind that the court has to be clean all the time.
- Therefore, remove the trash which would damage the court surface, and also keep the surroundings of the court clean to prevent vandalism.
- Another thing you should do regularly is to check and maintain the drainage under the court. If the drainage is not working properly, it can cause a lot of problems.
- And finally – notice the loose seams. We recommend visually inspecting the joints and edges of the artificial grass once a month by just walking on the court. Damage to the artificial grass surface has to be repaired immediately to prevent further damage, regardless of whether the damage is due to accident or vandalism.
More Thorough Maintenance Once a Year
We advise to carry out more extensive artificial grass tennis court maintenance once a year. This usually should take place in spring.
The spring maintenance consists of two parts:
- Brush the court thoroughly to remove all debris, trash, and moss. It is advisable to do the brushing with a suitable rider that has a rotary brush, but it can be done with a hand brush as well.
- Part of the sand will be lost with the process of brushing. Therefore, replace the sand with the new one. The required amount per court is about one big bag. When your court has a crushed stone sub-base, we also advise you to roll the court over with a 600-700kg heavy roller to seal the entire structure.
Artificial Grass Tennis Court Maintenance Is Easy at Any Time of The Year
As you can see, the artificial grass maintenance is an easy process and does not require much time nor effort. The golden rule in the maintenance of artificial grass courts is that ongoing maintenance keeps the court in good condition. However, especially short is the list of things that need to be done in autumn. So, go and take care of your artificial grass court! For maintenance inspiration, take a closer look at TennisKit24 instructional videos.
In case of questions please contact our Customer Service.